Thursday, November 6, 2008

To Ning or Not to Ning?

To ning or not to ning? By ning, I'm referring to the Ning network, one of the largest social networks on the web, especially for online marketers. This social networking platform allows you to start your own networking community without having to start from scratch or having to know any coding or pay for any hosting to do so. You can also join many of the preexisting networks that interest you and there is an endless selection of topics.

Once a member of one network in Ning you can easily search for other networks to join or even start your own. It offers many convenient features such as your own built in blog, the ability to upload photos and video, forums and message capabilities. You can also post links and banners to your other websites. Another nice feature is your friends from one network automatically become your friends on the next.

Well,, with all of these features why wouldn't you want to take advantage of such an available and accessible place to network? Well, to put it simply, there is a lot of marketing that goes on within Ning. Like the countless other social networks you can plan on being pitched to and pitched often.

The thing I noticed with Ning however, is the marketing tends to be a little more on the aggressive side. Depending on which network you are in specifically, full out marketing seems to be the norm. This wasn't as apparent to me upon joining my first Ning group, as it was set up as a community and training area for a specific opportunity. However, as time went on and I was invited to join other networks, I began to see a pattern of aggressive marketing.

Don't get me wrong, I am an internet marketer myself and finding creative ways to promote your business is what it's all about. Just be sure you know what you're in for when joining a Ning group. If you can't handle the added influx of friend requests and opportunity pitches to your inbox, then I would think twice before jumping in, but if you realize this is just part of the process, then give it a try.

The Ning network does offer an excellent platform for existing businesses to meet, set up shop, share training, updates, and marketing strategies. In fact, I've gotten some of my best information through my Ning associations. It really depends on who is behind the group that is important. If you find the group you have joined isn't your cup of tea, you can always delete your account.

Overall, I would say it's a fun network to belong to. There are categories for about every kind of interest imaginable. Sure the marketing is aggressive but I'm at a stage where my descretion is pretty good when it comes to fielding pitches. The rules tend to be a little looser as far as the selling goes so be prepared to be pitched. It tends to taper off once you're a member of the same group for a while. I'm interested in your thoughts or experience with Ning. Leave a comment by clicking on "comments" and bookmarks are appreciated.

No comments: